Monday, July 5, 2010

Benefits of Basil!

If I had to choose only one herb to plant... it would definitely be basil.  It has a heavenly scent and looks great in the garden!  I picked this one up at Trader Joe's... for just $2.99!  I add it to my salads almost daily.  :)  And, it is perfect for making Basil-Lemonade!  Haven't made pesto yet... but I intend to tomorrow!  By the way... did you basil has many health benefits?  According to WH Foods, it's an excellent source of vitamin K and a very good source of iron, calcium, & vitamin A.  In addition, it's a good source of fiber, manganese , magnesium, vitamin C, and potassium.  It also has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties!  Just make sure to "pinch" back the center set of leaves to prevent flowering (as this causes the plant to taste bitter.)  It also encourages the plant to become fuller and produce even more basil!


No comments:

Post a Comment